What a difference a day makes.

Things are really moving now in the garden, at the beginning of April we went off for the Easter break only to find on our return the garden had come on in leaps and bounds.  Everything was already starting to green up before we went, but on our return the good weather had ensured that everything had not only doubled in size, but there were also plants now growing that I thought I had lost over the winter.

The primroses have continues to put on a fantastic display this year and once the brunnera started to flower the border looked even better. To top it off the dicentra have shot up, giving that much needed height  and I cannot wait for these to flower. Of the hellebores we have had only two of the four put on a good show, the other two have looked a little sorry for themselves for some reason. However, they are putting on new growth so maybe things will look better next year.

In the flower border opposite, the daffodils have put on a really good display this year and the anemone blande gave a good carpet of blue, increasing year on year as it self seeds freely.

Elsewhere in the garden the bees love the clematis and the ornamental cherry, both of which are in full flower. The bird box that is sited on the cherry has also been occupied by bluetits again this year and already there have been eight eggs laid. Wonder if we will get to nine as last year.

Things have been more than a little busy in the kitchen garden. The greenhouse has been, and still is, full of plants at varying stages of growth. As one lot is hardened off and moved outside, in goes the next lot. With the unpredictable weather we get these days I tend to sow more in pots than I used to do.

The first sowing of spring onions are coming on a treat and the second batch are just showing signs of growth.  The broad beans, peas and mangetout have all been planted outside now and are happily growing away. The mangetout were sown a little later than usual this year, as they always seem to be ready for picking when I am going away, so figures crossed that a couple of week makes all the difference.

The courgettes are growing well, tried a different variety last year, but I think that I planted them out too early as they just seemed to sulk all summer. This year I have gone back to the trusted defender and will not be putting them outside for another few weeks at least. That said, there was one evening when I was bringing them back indoors and I must have got distracted. The next day I was looking everywhere for them, to put them back outside, and realised I had left them outside the greenhouse all night! Thankfully with no ill effect.

The swede, turnips, beetroot and spinach have all been slow going, but are hanging on in there. As for the parsnip, there is not a lot to say. I have sown a row every couple of weeks since the beginning of March and nothing. I have even tried to get the seed germinating on some damp kitchen tissue first, but no luck. The seed is fresh and the first time I tried growing parsnips I had loads of success, but sadly it is looking like none again this year. Any hints and tips are most welcome.